Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 8/28/2010 7:43 AM, Morgans wrote:
Standardization.

So what is standard about using heavier wire than is called for? 15 amp
and 14 ga. is what is standard. 20 amp feeds are only required in a few
areas of a house. They are what is not standard.

Not necessarily, and certainly not "standard" where I build ... 12ga is
the minimum allowed in residential construction around these parts and you
rarely see a 15A branch circuit, even for lighting in the most
inexpensively built home. AAMOF, I can't recall the last time I saw a 15A
c'bkr in a 200A service panel.

So no, 14ga/15A is pretty much a thing of the past as "standard" IME.

What "parts" are you around that does not allow 14 ga. 15 amp circuits? What
country are you in?

If it is in the US, does your area have a different code than the N.E.C. ?

That stands for national electrical code for those that do not know.

Don't make me pull out a code book and quote it for you.
--
Jim in NC