Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Take apart - put together syndrome

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:23:30 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:49:46 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 09:35:50 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 19:38:45 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
former VW mechanic.

Oh, you're the guy who actually worked on 'em? I'm the guy who would
always say, with a smile "Oh, a VW? The crusher is over there."

I LOVE beetles! Well..except for the Super Beetle.

Between hearing the heads flop 1/4 inch off-seat on acceleration,
seeing a gazillion of them on fire on the side of the road, getting my
hearing reamed by their high-pitched squeals, and being in a VW van
@45 degrees in a 40knot gust on a bridge near Mountain View, CA once,
I had my fill early on, thankyouverymuch.

You are talking about badly maintained bugs. They are almost as bad as
a badly maintained Caddy or Volvo or Chevette.

While they can indeed have issues, the technology is well mature, well
documented and has improved a 1000 fold from 1939..or 69

There are only two reasons we dont see them on the streets much anymore.

EPA regs and the simple fact VW stopped bringing them into the US. They
couldnt sell for as much as they could get for "improved" models.

They are still manufactured and run in South America and do yoemans duty
down there.

I ran the alarm department of a security firm that used bugs for oil
field patrols. Ran the **** out of them and hard too. Course we did
soup em up a bit and I wound up doing much of the mechanic work.

They had to change over to pickup trucks when decent bugs got hard to
find.

Some day Ill build up another one. Biggest problem with em was..no air
conditioning. Which sucks here in the desert.

But at least they gave you carbon-monoxide-filled heat during the
winter, eh?

Only on a poorly maintained one. Does your current ride ****
antifreeze on your foot from a poorly maintained heater core?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)