Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default car bulbs in France

On 28/08/2010 18:24, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
writes:
In France it's a requirement to carry a set of replacement
bulbs in your vehicle. I'd guess that the idea is that as
soon as it's noticed that one of your bulbs has gone, you
can replace itŒ
Πin the supermarket car park or on the roadside. Seems
like a good idea.

Until I came to replace a brake light on my Megane Scenic
the other day. Rear light cluster is held in by a couple of
T20 Torx screws. Now as it happens I had such a tool, but
only by accident! I'm sure not many people would have one,
so should the manufacturer be supplying such tools as a
safety feature?

On many cars nowadays, bulb replacement is supposed to be
done at the garage, and there are no instructions in the
handbook (and in the case of headlamps, it can require
removal of things like air filters before you can get to
them).

I have 2 Rover 45's and the first time I tried to change a headlamp
bulb, I took out the connector for the head lamp adjuster, thinking that
it was where the bulb was. These days, I go to my local Rover man. He
charges £1-00 for a rear bulb and I think, £5-00 for a headlamp bulb.

Dave