Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Swingman wrote:
On 8/28/2010 7:43 AM, Morgans wrote:
Standardization.

So what is standard about using heavier wire than is called for? 15
amp and 14 ga. is what is standard. 20 amp feeds are only required
in a few areas of a house. They are what is not standard.

Not necessarily, and certainly not "standard" where I build ... 12ga
is the minimum allowed in residential construction around these parts
and you rarely see a 15A branch circuit, even for lighting in the most
inexpensively built home. AAMOF, I can't recall the last time I saw a
15A c'bkr in a 200A service panel.

So no, 14ga/15A is pretty much a thing of the past as "standard" IME.

Echo that. 14ga is by no means standard in the Northeast these days. You
can still find 15A lighting circuits, but that's about it. Even lighting is
commonly fed by a 20A circuit these days. 14ga would certainly not be
called the standard.

--

-Mike-