Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Morgans wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote

Cannot understand why you would say that. Odds are it is 12 ga.

Why? Code only calls for 15 amp, 14 ga. in bedrooms.

If someone used 12, they were just being over-zealous.

Because the overwhelming norm in the areas where I've wired is a 12ga/20A
circuit for all outlets. Over zealous? Perhaps, but with the increased
loads people put on branch circuits these days the extra capacity is not a
bad thing. For me - I wire only with 12ga (no 14ga), simply because it's
most likely that the homeowner will at some point tap into a branch
(generally in the worst possible way...), for some need down the road.
Extra capacity has proven itself to be worth the effort.

I can't tell you how many times I've pulled new wire for living rooms,
dining rooms and bedrooms because the 15A circuit was not sufficient for
fish tanks, and the myriad of electrical/electronic devices common to living
today. You find the 14ga more prevelent in the manufactured homes where
shaving every nickle is the prime consideration, and it does not take a
horribly unusual lifestyle to overwhelm the circuit. Sure - could have
split the circuit and run a new 15A home run and served the purpose, but I
have simplified my life by not even using the stuff.

For those that bitch about working with 12ga, I just never understood that.
It's not hard to work with. Yeah, 14ga is easier, but so is just staying in
bed in the morning.

--

-Mike-