Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

On 8/28/2010 7:43 AM, Morgans wrote:
Standardization.

So what is standard about using heavier wire than is called for? 15 amp
and 14 ga. is what is standard. 20 amp feeds are only required in a few
areas of a house. They are what is not standard.

Not necessarily, and certainly not "standard" where I build ... 12ga is
the minimum allowed in residential construction around these parts and
you rarely see a 15A branch circuit, even for lighting in the most
inexpensively built home. AAMOF, I can't recall the last time I saw a
15A c'bkr in a 200A service panel.

So no, 14ga/15A is pretty much a thing of the past as "standard" IME.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010