Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Take apart - put together syndrome

wrote:

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:24:53 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?"DoN. Nichols" wrote:
??
?? On 2010-08-26,
? wrote:
?? ? On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 06:04:53 -0700, Larry Jaques
?? ? wrote:
??
?? [ ... ]
??
?? ??Oxidized connections at the connectors account for a very large
?? ??percentage of computer repairs, too. R?R connector, computer starts
?? ??working.
?? ?
?? ?
?? ? Used to be REAL common with socketed DIP RAM and DIP socketed
?? ? processors. Remember when virtual;ly every chip on a motherboard was
?? ? plugged into a socket????
??
?? That was when memory chips cost a significant fraction of the
?? cost of the board on which they were installed and it was beneficial to
?? be able to replace an individual (bad) chip.
??
?? And the common repair used to be to lift the computer (no hard
?? disk installed) a few inches off the table, hold it parallel to the
?? table and drop it to re-seat the chips. :-)
?
?
? Or to remove the chip, shove a goos machined pin IC socket into the
?cheaper formed pin tyoe, then inset the chip into the new socket?
Some of our high end boards back in about 1986 had all machined pin
sockets on them. About double or triple the cost for a bare board than
with the spring pin sockets. All gold plated machined pins, too.

Yes, but they were worth it in some applications. I used to repair
Commodore 64 computers. I used machine pin sockets for repairs, if I
could get them.

I had one joker who wanted a fully socketed C64, but was too cheap to
pay for good sockets. I had a board that already had about 50% of the
ICs in sockets, so I pulled the other chips and installed the common AMP
leaf type sockets. He called me about a week later to complain that he
had to open the computer and wiggle all the ICs to get it to work, and
demanded hs money back, or he would tell everyone at the computer club.
I reminded him that it wasn't a good idea, and that he really didn't
want all those sockets. When he told the club, they laughed him out of
the building.

enough left over to pay them.