Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mike[_12_] mike[_12_] is offline

Default Take apart - put together syndrome

Ted Frater wrote:

Then theres the temporary faulty car starter problem. Best cure is to
have mans oldest tool handy, thump the starter a couple of times then it
will work fine all week. And dont forget to slam the hood down well.This
always helps.

Good day Ted,

I was experiencing that in my VW van a little while back, it would
usually fail to start
at most inopportune time - I took the solenoid off the starter and ran
about 90 amps
(AC current) from my stick welder through the heavy contacts on the
solenoid while
operating the solenoid manually several times. Seems to have given it
a new lease on life, been working reliably since (so far anyway).

ymmv

Mike