Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Take apart - put together syndrome

In article ,
"Buerste" wrote:

Something doesn't work so you take it apart and troubleshoot all the
components. You can't find anything wrong so you put it back together
and...IT WORKS PERFECT! It has happened to me for forever but what's going
on? My latest is the icemaker in the kitchen refrigerator. I spent hours
and hours finding documents and troubleshooting. No, it wasn't frozen-up,
(the most common fault it seems) the motor worked, the thermostat checked
out, the heater passed muster. The water valve is OK and all cleaned out.
(I've replaced plenty of those in different units over the years). Of
course, I find nothing else that could cause it to crap out so put it all
back together and...it works just fine. Go figure. I've had hundreds if
not thousands of this kind of thing, I'll bet everybody else does too!

I too have experienced this numerous times... always makes me nervous.

Along the same lines is when someone asks me to 'take a look at
something', then together we can't make the damned thing act up to save
our asses. They're always embarrassed: often going on about the 'magic
touch' and all that jazz...

I know they wouldn't be there had they not experienced something
alarming, and suspect they'll fear further embarrassment returning
if/when/should said symptoms return. I always try to explain to them
that this isn't a new phenomena, and that I certainly possess no
mechanical/electrical/electronic 'supernatural powers', and please not
to hesitate contacting if said issues continue.

I hate both these situations... I'd MUCH rather deal with something
concrete than be left in the 'twilight zone'

Erik