Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Joel Koltner[_2_] Joel Koltner[_2_] is offline

Default Coach fired for writing country-western song...

"flipper" wrote in message
Read mo
http://radio.foxnews.com/2010/08/23/...#ixzz0xfBo111H

So much for the first amendment.

Well, the school board maintains the guy's dismissal had nothing to do with
the song.

If it did, what you can and can't say on and off the job and how it effects
what your employer can can't do to you gets very murky. See, e.g.,
http://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers/legal/labor . (Obviously a "blog" isn't a
"song e-mailed to friends," but you get the idea.)

I do find it a bit ironic that a conservative guy would be threatening a
lawsuit when conservatives would generally be the ones to advocate employers
being able to fire anyone for any arbitrary reason whatsoever vs. the liberals
who want lots of worker protection laws.

I'll bet you a nickel what really happened is that while, sure, he used his
personal e-mail account, he was using school-owned equipment at the time he
did it. I suspect there's probably some clear-cut rule about that not being
acceptable use of his employer's equipment, so unless he's able to demonstrate
that, e.g., other employees were using equipment for similar activities,
administrators were informed and did nothing, I doubt he'd have much of a leg
to stand on in court.

Or maybe it really doesn't have anything to do with the song whatsoever, as
the school maintains -- it's a pretty benign song, if you ask me; I sure
wouldn't fire anyone over it.

---Joel