Posted to alt.home.repair
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default Do It Yourself -- Not

"aemeijers" wrote in message

I have advocated for years that HS junior or senior year needed a course
called 'stuff you need to know in the real world'. One semester of stuff
like how to own and operate a checking account/credit card, get a consumer
loan, not get bent over at the car dealer, etc. The other semester of
basic mechanical and home repair tasks, like how to change a tire, how to
check oil, how to not get bent over at the repair shop, how to do basic
household repairs, and how to know when to attempt it yourself vs. when
you should call a tradesman (and not get bent over by him either.)

Great idea, I'd sign the petition.

Well, parents obviously ain't passing on these skill sets any more,
assuming they ever had them.

My parents had those skills (if my dad couldn't fix it there was a good
chance he could build you a new one, he had multiple tickets in various
trades). I wish I'd paid more attention back then, I wouldn't have to be
rediscovering this stuff now.