Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Do It Yourself -- Not

On Aug 26, 2:25*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 00:25:34 -0700, harry wrote:
15A
120V:http://www.levitonproducts.com/catal...decora-duplex-

receptac...

20A 120V
plug:http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_1433.htm?

sid=ADE2F23EFFB...

20A 120V
outlet:http://www.levitonproducts.com/catal...n_narrow-body-

duplex-rec...

15A
240V:http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_5028.htm?

sid=ADE2F23EFFB...

20A
240V:http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_5821.htm?

sid=ADE2F23EFFB...

What a waste. *We have one plug here does all of this, *cheaper and
safer.

Hmm, I don't recall ever seeing anything above a 13A fuse in a UK plug,
suggesting that for anything more than that, there's a different style of
plug to use. I certainly recall running big Sun servers off something a
lot more substantial than that.

Pros and cons with plugs on both side of the Pond, really. The UK ones
are bulky (I like US wall-warts where the pins can just fold away easily
when not in use) but at least are fused, and the pins are strong. I've
seen plenty of US houses where the outlets are getting a little tired and
things are plugged into them with the pins partially exposed, which is
never a good thing.

cheers

Jules- Hide quoted text -

There's nothing bigger for domestic use. You can go as big as you
like for industrial sockests and three phase as well. You don't
normally see three phase domestically, You can get enough from a
100Amp /240volt supply. Especially now with soft start motors.
There's been recent big advances on appliance efficiency so that much
less power is needed. By law now they all have a rating displayed.
No-one buys anything now that doesn't have the highest rating.
There's a rating war on in fact.
The pins on recent 13a plugs here are insulated so that if part-
inserted nothing live is exposed. Also the holes in the sockets are
shuttered, you need to insert the three pins to be able to get the
plug in at all.