Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_3_] Sunworshipper[_3_] is offline

Default Take apart - put together syndrome

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:46:56 -0700, "Artemus"
wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message
Buerste wrote:
Something doesn't work so you take it apart and troubleshoot all the
components. You can't find anything wrong so you put it back together
and...IT WORKS PERFECT! It has happened to me for forever but what's
going on? My latest is the icemaker in the kitchen refrigerator. I
spent hours and hours finding documents and troubleshooting. No, it
wasn't frozen-up, (the most common fault it seems) the motor worked,
the thermostat checked out, the heater passed muster. The water
valve is OK and all cleaned out. (I've replaced plenty of those in
different units over the years). Of course, I find nothing else that
could cause it to crap out so put it all back together and...it works
just fine. Go figure. I've had hundreds if not thousands of this
kind of thing, I'll bet everybody else does too!

I just went thru a whole damned to hell and beyond day doing just that with
my wife's car . Never did find anything wrong , but after unplug-plugging a
buncha connectors it runs again . Damn thing has a PCM that controls
*everything* . Died on her this am on her way to work , and I'm sure glad
it was close enough for her to walk home !
Still don't know why it died , but it runs now so ...
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

An easy to overlook problem is the ground connections. Weird **** happens
with poor/intermittent/missing grounds.
Art

That's right, and neutrals, the N word for electricians. Your the
only one so far to bring up the I word. I use to get all the I work
orders.Nothing worse than the public relations and intermittent and
ghosting problems.

One time it was a Judge's spa, I could tell and was told there where
many failed attempts, took about 4 hours to find out what it was. It
would screw up in front of you, take it apart and leave all the guts
hanging out and it would work perfectly, put it together and it would
come on and off in different modes at random time intervals. Had to do
with spring tension on multifunctional solenoid switches. Horizontal
worked fine, put the cover with the switches attached vertical no
work.

Another was this very influential guy in vegas, had a new pool spa
combo that he could call ahead of time so that it would switch from
pool/spa to spa only presetting. So that by the time he arrived the
spa would be preheated and ready to go. I guess no one would listen to
his complaints about it thinking for itself until it got to far and he
wanted half the company there at the same time and have them stay
until it was fixed. I was invited. 9:00am the sales dude, the super,
the plumber, the electrician, the people who put in this rat maze in
the box, ahhh about 8 people. They all scratch their heads and then
its my turn. This box of wires is pretty complex, I try to think as
all these people are waiting and staring. Reminds me of my last job!
Anyhow, nothing is jumping out so I fall back on the ole think simple
stupid. There is no neutral ! stand up and say so and they made the
electrician pull another home run with 4 wires instead of three. Never
heard from that guy ever again.

SW