Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Compound pulleys....

On 8/25/2010 2:59 AM, cavelamb wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2010-08-24, John B slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 23:15:38 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

[ ... ]

Whether lubbers can appreciate it or not, naming the lines by their
function
does make sense.

Pulling the wrong line at the wrong time can be more than confusing -
it can cause things to break and people get hurt.

On my simple sloop, with only three sails, there are 20 control lines!

Main: halyard, topping lift, sheet, vang, traveler, and 2 reefing lines
Jib: halyard, furler halyard, down haul, two sheets, and the furling
line.
Spinnaker: halyard, down haul, two sheets, and the sock control line.
Jib pole: Topping lift and guy (down haul)

Hmm ... sloop (my father's -- years ago):

Main and your choice of sizes of Jib or Spinnaker.

Main: Throat Halyard,
Peak halyard,
Downhaul at foot of boom to tension the luff.
Outhaul at end of boom.
Outhaul at end of gaff.
Sheet,
(I forget the name, but it kept the end of the boom at a
reasonable height without the sail in place until
the boom was placed in the scissors style boom crotch.
Backstays (not on the main, but had to be adjusted as the tack
changed.
And of course the three rows of short lines in the sail for
reefing

Oh man, I love gaff rigged mains.
So many things to play with.

Jib (or Spinnaker): Halyard
two sheets (one either side of the mainmast).
a couple of rows of lines for reefing.
Nothing extra when the whisker pole was in service for the
Spinnaker or running wing and wing.

Out of curiosity, what kind of furler do you have that uses a separate
halyard? Usually the jib head is shackled to the upper furler bearing
and a single halyard is all that's necessary. And how come a downhaul
on a furler jib?

Perhaps for replacing it with a storm jib in serious weather? I
guess that partial furling could do in place of reefing.

It _can_, but it's a real bad idea to actually do it.

Because of the way the sail rolls up around the foil (on the forestay)
it tends to bag real bad. That causes the fabric to be stretched in the
middle of the sail, causing it to shape about like a dirty diaper.
And it's a permanent stretch too.

The jib that come on my boat has three very distinct scallops that are
easy to see in light air. When the wind picks up, it has way to much
camber (depth of curvature) - bagged out too much...

I've been playing with the idea of removing the roller furler and going
back to hank on jibs. That way I can have the right sail up to match the
wind conditions.

I've had some trouble rolling that bad boy in a couple of times when the
wind picked up over 20 mph rather suddenly.

I guess I tend to carry too much linen too long.

But even with the headsail rolled up, in a big wind that's a LOT of drag
in exactly the wrong place.

Normally, the jib acted as its own downhaul in my experience --
but this craft was made long before roller furling was thought of -- and
before the Marconi rig had the right strength of materials to be
practical.

Enjoy,
DoN.

You would not believe what some of the racing maniacs are doing with
modern materials.

Sailing anarchy is a good place to get a quick feel for it.
http://www.sailinganarchy.com/index_page1.php

Imagine 50 to 80 foot ocean racers doing over 30 knots.
Really...
And those are monohulls - not catamarans!

Then there's Hydroptere . . .