Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I observed that the garbage disposal is currently on a dedicated 20
Amp circuit, but, at least back to its switch, it is wired with white
romex cable (guage 14). I am not yet familiar yet with the cable
between the switch and the main panel (I have a hunch that it is
guage 12).

I hope it's not 14 ga on a 20 amp breaker. Don't assume so just because the
romex is white. The colored jackets for romex is a new thing and it used to
be that all romex was white. Look at the romex before you do anything.

Thanks, I'll be double-checking because, according to the directions, I
forgot to put in a (romex cable) connector. Actually, I think my wire
may in fact be white 12 gauge romex. After working with 10 gauge it
looked small to me. The person who installed that last garbage disposal
apparently didn't read their directions either--it's not like they
include a connector in the package! For $169.99, they could include a
darn 35 cent connector... For those not in the know, the connector will
prevent damage where the cable enters the device and will prevent
tugging on the wire-connectors. I'll probably redo it this weekend.