Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default One for the motor experts...

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 19:13:36 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Iwaki-Regenerati...-/170531505301

Oh, that's good one: "... Regenerative Braking Resistor ...". I guess
"regenerative" is a new buzz word that sounds good (& green), that
people will be using when neither they nor their readers know what it means.

Sigh,
Bob

Hey - does that mean that I can say that the brakes on my car are
regenerative?

Chuckle...actually..it does use active technology to induce braking, not
just kicking the power out.

VFDs inject DC current into ac motors to slow and stop them. The
resulting hysterisis must go somewhere. Hence the braking resistors are
used to burn off the mess.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)