Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default REQ: Machine Shop in Chicago area for small one-time job

On 08/23/2010 02:38 PM, Wes wrote:
wrote:

On Aug 23, 12:38 am, Gunner wrote:
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 08:47:43 -0700 (PDT), solidstate

wrote:
I am looking for a machine shop to drill extra holes in a bicycle hub.

http://www.amclassic.com/en/products...ssettebody.php

This hub is available with 24 total holes (12 on each flange) I would
like a shop to drill a new hole between every existing hole to create
a 48 hole hub (24 holes on each flange).

The holes should be about 2 mm (0.079 in.) in diameter. Straight
holes are O.K. Countersinking is not required.

Any suggestions appreciated. Please post to group.

TIA

Got a drill press?

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-HOR-VERT-ROTAR...-/230373697887

Gunner

At this time, I would rather take this to a shop.

Just a few questions, what do you think this is going to cost you?

Is this for a tandem bicycle?

I'd try the yellow pages unless your idea was to see if the hobby types here were willing
take this on for beer money.

And while you're answering questions -- will there be enough meat left
after you're done adding the extra perforations?

I gotta do this one day -- I've had a LeMond "Alpo De Huez" sitting in
my garage for years, waiting for a 44-spoke hub so I can turn it back
into an "Alpe De Huez". At 250 pounds, I'm a bit too hard on a 32-spoke
wheel on a short-coupled bike.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services