Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default One for the motor experts...

On 08/23/2010 03:07 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:08:44 -0400, "Joe
wrote:

I'm about to use a Leeson model 110163 motor for a job that will reverse the
motor approximately every 4 seconds with a proper inverter, breaking
resistor, etc.

I've tried contacting multiple AC drive experts at Leeson over the past week
or so with not a single live person answering and zero returned phone calls.

I've got to use the Leeson because of the motor's dimensions... Although WEG
and a Chinese import I found both would fit and are inverter rated...

I'm wondering if anyone knows where one could find specs or information on
just what an inverter rated motor can take as far as constant reversing
abuse, etc.

...and before anyone suggests it, it must be a 56C face, TEFC motor. An
external fan may help a bit as would using a washdown motor and spraying it
with coolant... But I'm not able to go either route for this particular
customer.

Thanks for any insight or help you can offer.

Joe...WEG motors are what OmniTurn uses..and Ive seen them do exactly
what you are doing for years as production lathes.

Just be sure to use as large a braking resistor as you can...200 watts

We use the old faithful standby PC3/Yaskawa 606PC3/yada yada yada
VFD..its been labled by everyone under the sun.. and is absolutely
bullet proof. The only time Ive every replaced one in the 12 or so
years OmniTurn has been using them..was the result of either lightning
or flood, or forklift damage.

And the lightning only took out the 0-10 volt analog voltage section. Im
currently running my Gorton Mastermill on that same VFD using a pot to
change speed..and have been..on single phase..for almost 10 yrs.

Hey! That's exactly what I was babbling about in theory, only you know
the real part numbers!

Braking resistors, huh? No one wants to shove the braking power
backwards up the electrical line (which is eminently possible in theory,
with lots of practical difficulties). They could call them "green", then.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services