Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
hls hls is offline

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

"SF Man" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 01:29:48 GMT, notbob wrote:

Size of the cylinder has no bearing on amount of pressure.

That makes sense. I practically filled the thing with carb cleaner today.
I'm letting it all dry out before I try again.

If this last ditch effort doesn't work, plan B is to bring it to a shop
for
an estimate.

Plan C, is to buy a NON-CALIFORNIA chain saw on the net. Can you recommend
a good place to buy chain saws (NON CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS) that actually
have adjustable "L" low and "H" high screws for the carb?

I would recommend you go straight to "B". An honest saw mechanic can either
fix this
rascal quickly, or he can tell you it isnt worth fixing.

I never bought a saw on the net. My first chain saw was an Echo, and it was
a heck of a
good saw. Then I bought a Husqvarna (also a great saw, stolen by a couple
of drugheads), and
then a replacement Husqvarna.

I dont know if an internet company CAN ship a noncomplying saw to
California.

Note that some saws have what they used to call 50 hour engines. That is
about the life
expectancy of them.