Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Shaft sizing

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 20:25:02 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:06:21 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I have an old cement mixer. The shaft size that is on there for the
steel
wheels is about .7000+. I have some rubber tires with tubes that have a
hub
axle diameter of .625, or thereabouts. I know that all rods come in
standard fractional sizes. Is there some standard deduction when one is
calculating a shaft versus an opening size so it will just slide on, and
not
be a press fit requiring hydraulics, beating with a large hammer, or
immersion in dry ice or liquid nitrogen? This is going to be max 200
rpm
for 200 yds, so it is not critical. Is there a place to buy this
slightly
less than nominal diameter material in a cold rolled, so it will be a
little
stiffer than the normal rod?

Thanks

Steve

Get a free electronic book before they run out!

Why not take a piece of 3/4" rod, and turn the ends down to 5/8" and put
a cotter pin in each end so the wheels dont fall off? If you want to be
fancy..you can thread both ends for .625 and put a lock nut on both
ends?

Gunner

That would require knowledge, expertise, and a lathe, of which I have
none.

Steve

As a fellow CABG vet, I bet Gunner would turn down your shaft if you
sent it to him. I certainly would. I'd make it about .622 on each
end, you say how long, leaving enough addendum for cross holes for
cotter keys. Wouldn't take 20 minutes.

The hubs come out of these wheel assemblies. I'm going to take one of them
to the store today, and look for some bolts that will work. I can weld on
the bolts, but I think I need to add a diagonal support cage/frame that will
run from the frame to the outside of the bolt's threads because the axle is
getting fairly wide, and with the machine and 180# of mud, it might bend.
Not the bolt, but the angle iron frame. I could make it bolt on for quick
change tire repair. Have to get a tube repair kit, too. These things are a
PITA, but it's almost done, and I'm ready to pour some footers for another
metal shade cover, and some retaining wall for walkways, plus some brick
work. This mixer looks like the perfect size, just have to get it so it
moves around good. Right now, the original steel wheels don't roll very
well in our sandy soil.

Steve

Get your free book! We only have 999 trillion left on electronic storage!