Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Shaft sizing

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:06:21 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I have an old cement mixer. The shaft size that is on there for the steel
wheels is about .7000+. I have some rubber tires with tubes that have a hub
axle diameter of .625, or thereabouts. I know that all rods come in
standard fractional sizes. Is there some standard deduction when one is
calculating a shaft versus an opening size so it will just slide on, and not
be a press fit requiring hydraulics, beating with a large hammer, or
immersion in dry ice or liquid nitrogen? This is going to be max 200 rpm
for 200 yds, so it is not critical. Is there a place to buy this slightly
less than nominal diameter material in a cold rolled, so it will be a little
stiffer than the normal rod?

Grade five or grade eight bolts should work well.

Otherwise, I bet your tires are made to take standard dimension stuff
and work. Mcmaster carr has a great selection of high quality rod.

karl

Thanks

Steve

Get a free electronic book before they run out!