Posted to alt.home.repair
SF Man SF Man is offline

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:25:33 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Timing, not sure about. Compression, tests like most other engines,
I'd guess. Since it obviously spins easier with the plug out, you have
at least some compression.

That's a good point. It does spin easier (much easier) with the plug out.
Also, I tried blowing abouit 50psi compressed air into the spark plug hole
.... with mixed results.

- If the piston was at the top, it fluttered.
- If the piston was at another spot, it blew out the exhaust.
- If the piston was at yet another spot, it blew out the carbeurator.

But it never did run the thing (I think because of the pull-cord clutch
mechanism because it 'looked' like it wanted to spin but couldn't spin.
Probably because it wasn't fast enough to make the pull-cord clutch
disengage.