Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 00:49:08 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

If you mud down an extra foot, it will still show up to everyone who
looks at it via shadow lines and it will look unprofessional.

Larry,

Most of the joint is 3" from the ceiling. I've taped it all, but I
haven't done much tapering yet, and I think it looks pretty good.
The ceiling is "brushed joint compound"/imitation stucco--whatever that
treatment is called. I think someone suggested here a while back that I
proceed as I have. We didn't realize, of course, that I would uncover a
variety of drywall widths in the tear-off.

You meant "thicknesses", right? In addition, you'll seldom get mud
precisely flat. (See used/wrecked/repainted cars for the idea.)

I will have considerable
lighting in this area, so I doubt shadow lines will be a major issue. I

Whatever you say. g

can always redo whatever I find unacceptable--another wall and the
ceiling still needs work. It's not like I have to make a special trip
to the job site.

OK.

As Steve mentioned, there has been a lot of learning in this. That was
and still is a very important goal too--to further develop my skills,
for instance, for working on the interior of the house. I am hopeful
that my results will look *great*, while they may fall somewhat short of
standards someone might require for a brightly lit formal dining room
finished with semi-gloss paint (Level 5?).

Formal dining room with Semi? Fatal Error! Don't mud, just prime,
paint, and put up 3.5" or larger crown moulding.

By the way, I get to apply many of the skills I've learned working on
this project to a garbage disposal that broke yesterday and needs to be
replaced. As I'm not sure there is currently even enough wire to get to
the new disposal or a properly located junction box, I may need to pull
wire from the switch which is on an adjacent wall.

If it's just a short wire, consider adding a junction box on the wall
and extend from there.

My point is I'm
confident about the electrical part of whatever I need to do with
that--which is a far better position than I would have been in only 6
months ago.

That's a good feeling, isn't it?

I need to try to figure out how to hook up the out-flowing
pipe as the new disposal uses a different adapter than I have now...so
I'm off to look for some resources now. Cheers!

Isn't plumbing a joy? deep sigh

--
We're all here because we're not all there.