Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus25139 Ignoramus25139 is offline

Default Spindle crash

On 2010-08-21, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:57:00 -0500, Ignoramus25139

On 2010-08-21, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus11290 wrote:
What I meant was this: say, I lose the spindle so that the spindle is
at the level of the vise (and not just the tool) and then I crash it
into a vise. What would happen?

My machine has the original round-ram swivel joint with a modified
adaptor to hold the 1J head I put on it. I have had a couple
crashes or overloads where the swivel slipped and I had to re-tram
the machine. Your machine has the rigid ram, so it doesn't have
that "safety mechanism". I suspect the Series 1 head/spindle can
withstand 500 - 1000 Lbs of radial force on the spindle without
major damage, but above that it could cause damage to the spindle or
bearings. Your servo amps may be able to deliver more than 1000 Lbs
linear force to the table, so damage is possible.

I think that there is a little potentiometer on the amps to limit
torque (current), I should try to adjust this so that no more than,
say, 500 lbs is delivered to any axis. I will look into this.

I had this safety addition recently to inhibit amps when EMC is not
controlling position (due to following error, or just being turned
off), and that made me very happy. This would be another useful safety
feature.

Indeed. As you are not running the same parts day after day IE..a
commercial shop....you can drop torque limits quite a long way and not
have an issue with the front office G

Make the machine last longer too WHEN you do something wrong.

Yep.

I am mostly limited by my spindle speed in the size of things that I
am making.

I want to finish everything with 3 axis before adding spindle encoders
or moving into other esoterics like 4th axis.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)