Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
FatterDumber& Happier Moe FatterDumber& Happier Moe is offline

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

SF Man wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 21:41:19 GMT, notbob wrote:

Be more definitive. Did it puff past you finger/thumb, regardless of
how hard you pressed to stop it? If so, that's enough compression.

No. I could easily hold my thumb on the hole. It puffed like the way you
would blow a fly off your wrist.

Of course, it's only a 40cc engine ... so I'm not sure how much compression
it should have.

Unless you ran it without oil in the gas or without the air cleaner
I'd not worry about the compression. If you can't get it running to
your satisfaction with the OEM carb then what you might want to do, if
you use this thing very much, is find a retrofit carburetor for it.
Something like this, you will have to cross reference things and
make sure it will work with your engine. Engine size, bolt patterns,
throttle linkage, fuel lines etc. Notice these have low and high speed
adjustments. No primer bulb on these, you shouldn't need it or the side
plate with the primer bulb from your carb might fit on one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WALBRO-WT-20-CHA...efaultDomain_0

All in all you ought to be able to get your OEM carb working well
enough, sometimes a bread tie, the wire in a bread tie is useful to try
to clean the little holes in small engine carburetors or a single
bristle cut off from a wire brush will work.
Have fun.