Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 13:26:22 -0700, SF Man
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 13:18:07 -0700, SF Man wrote:

Am watching this video to learn how to adjust the carb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhXGWF-B_hs

Doh. I just realized the "L", "H", and "T" embossed on the cover that I
first removed indicated the low, high, and ... hmmm ... I guess "throttle"
adjustment screws?

Both the "L" and the "H" pin are NOT screws. Clearly they are not designed
to be adjusted. Again, this may be a California (smog) thing. To discourage
you from touching them, there is a point instead of a screw slot; and they
have a housing around them just so you can't easily get to them.

The "T" screw is easy to get to, even with all the covers on as there is a
slot in the plastic to allow access. Do you think the "T" is for throttle?

If the T is for throttle - that may just fix your idle problem.

Is that the screw with the spring? When adjusting a screw, on the
carb, count the number of turns it takes to seat the screw. Not tight,
but just seated.

Back the screw out shy or past the number you wrote down.

Get it running and adjust a second time...