Posted to alt.home.repair
FatterDumber& Happier Moe FatterDumber& Happier Moe is offline

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

SF Man wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 13:05:49 -0700, SF Man wrote:
I screwed it out 1 1/2 turns.

Oh oh. I read warnings about running two strokes too rich or at wide-open
throttle. I run it at full throttle all the time (if I don't, it stalls).
Is that bad?

Anyway, I figured I'd better google for Poulan carb adjustment procedures:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/...procedure.html

Will try that.

BTW, I learned in this video that the low and high have H and L stamped on
them. Will look for that first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhXGWF-B_hs

All small engines have had a solid state/coils for years now. The
timing is set by the flywheel key and usually not adjustable. They are
usually pretty trouble free.
What you can do is squirt some carb cleaner into the carb throat and
that should get it to start for just a second maybe two. If it does and
you know you are getting gas to the carb then you will have to clean the
carburetor. The metering holes are very very small and it doesn't take
much to clog them. One side of the carb is the fuel pump. The other
side meters the gas to the engine. First I'd spray a little carb
cleaner or a little gasoline into the carb and make sure the engine will
start and run just a bit. Then the carburetor cleaning. Since it's
only a year old the gaskets and diaphragms ought to still be good. The
metering holes and jets are very small (emissions control) two strokes
are considered dirty burning and the carburetors are made so you can't
over richen the mixture which is what you really need at times. Anyway
I've gotten small engines to run by priming them directly with gasoline
or carb cleaner even WD 40 sprayed into the carburetor throat and if you
can just get it to "pop" and run sometimes that will be enough to get
things working enough to continue running. The screw that was backed
out 8 turns probably doesn't matter since the carbs are now fixed with
such metering holes. You will have to make sure those are clear when
you have the carb apart spray carb cleaner into all the little holes and
use compressed air to blow them out, there is a small screen also but
those are usually not the problem. Old fuel is usually the problem it
coats things with varnish and gum.
You might get this thing running yet. Some of the youtube videos are
very helpful.