Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
hls hls is offline

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

"SF Man" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:05:24 -0500, hls wrote:
Husqvarna, and some other chain saws, have had problems with the
plastic gas line inside the gas tank cracking.

Thanks for the tips.

This is apparently a Poulan motor in the Craftsman chain saw.

The three fuel lines appear clear and unbroken. Chain saw is only a year
old. Fuel filter appears unclogged when I blow on it and has no visible
deposits. It's bright white. When I press the bulb, gas flows (I can tell
because I emptied it accidentally while I was holding it in my hands and
it
filled right up with gas).

Gas is new. Mix is new.

I'm working on the carb screw as I type ...

It is not easy to see the crack in the line. Several models of chainsaws
have
had the problem, and it is not at all unusual from them to go bad within a
year.

But the bottom line is to be sure you have fuel and spark, and if either is
missing, you have to work backward to locate the problem. Remember
the basics...you have to have spark (hot and at the right time), fuel,
and compression to have the engine run.