Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

On 8/19/2010 2:57 PM, SF Man wrote:

Do you know where to find the tune-up procedure for the Sears Craftsman
358.351.800 18 inch chain saw?

Ever since it was new, my two-stroke Sears Craftsman 358351.800 18" 40cc
chain saw has been miserable to start and even worse to run. Even when new,
I could never release my finger on the trigger for fear of the Craftsman
chainsaw conking out and not restarting for another 20 minutes of pulling
the string.

The Sears Craftsman 358351 chain saw is now about a year old, and I've got
only about 3 or 4 hours on it (a few tanks of gas and bar oil) but it now
won't even start anymore except when left overnight. Even then, it only
runs until I lift my finger off the trigger and it conks out and won't
start again. I'm so sorry I didn't read Craftsman chain saw reviews because
I'm sure this is a design flaw (maybe because it's a California low-smog
chainsaw?).

Anyway, I'm stuck with it.

I replaced the Champion RCJ7Y spark plug, the felt air filter, and put a
newly bought newly mixed 40:1 gasolineil mixture in the tank; but it's
STILL hard to start.

Following owners manual instructions, I set the choke to full on, I press
the accelerator pump 6x, I pull the starter cord 5 times, I set the choke
to 1/2 position, I pull the starter cord a half dozen more times, and, more
often than not, it does not start.

I called Sears' 800 number but they only sell parts; the guy told me to
tune the carbeurator but I don't know what that procedure is.

Do you know where to find the tune-up procedure for the Sears Craftsman
358.351.800 18 inch chain saw?

I once showed a friend of mine a good way to check the ignition of a two
cycle engine. I stuck an air hose into the empty spark plug hole and
pressurized the cylinder then pulled the starter rope. The little motor
ran happily on compressed air and the ignition system put out a nice big
spark. It blew his mind (no pun). We set all of the needle valves in
accordance with the manual, it indicated the number of turns
the needle valves needed to be backed off from being fully seated.
Of course, we cleaned everything first, making sure nothing was stopped
up. After all our machinations, the little two cycle started on the
first pull.

TDD