Posted to alt.home.repair
SF Man SF Man is offline

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:28:19 -0700, SF Man wrote:

So, the fuel filter and fuel line aren't clogged.

With the starter cord removed in the Craftsman 18 inch chain saw
(358351800), I cleaned things out and noticed there are three separate fuel
lines; but they all seem clear.

1. The thinner fuel line starts at the filter in the gas tank and goes to
the bottom of the carbeurator.

2. It comes out the side of the carb with a thicker line and goes into the
accelerator pump bulb.

3. Then it comes out of the accelerator pump bulb, again with a thicker
line, and ends up near the choke plate.

There are two side-by-side plates; one is for the throttle; the other is
for the choke. They appear to be working properly when I manipulate the
controls. The choke plate has a hole drilled in it so you can't totally
choke off the air.

So far, I can only find ONE screw with a spring on it which seems to be an
adjusting screw. I will go back and look for the other.

BTW, I tested 'compression' with my thumb as I pulled on the starter cord
before removing it and there was only a slight puff ... I wonder how to
test compression and timing on a two stroke?

Do these things have points?