Posted to alt.home.repair
SF Man SF Man is offline

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:22:23 -0700, SF Man wrote:

I could put the fuel line temporarily back in without the filter to prove
it's not clogged but it really doesn't appear clogged in the least.

I accidentally found I could test if the fuel line was clogged by pressing
the accelerator pump bulb a few times with the two or three inch fuel hose
out of the tank in the air with the filter attached.

The gas in the line went into the bulb until the line was dry as I
continually pressed the bulb.

Then I dropped the attached fuel filter into the gas tank and continued to
press the bulb a few times and it filled up with gas.

So, the fuel filter and fuel line aren't clogged. BTW, in hindsight, I knew
this because the bulb filled with gas every time. If the fuel line were
clogged, I would think the bulb would have been harder to fill with gas.

Anyway, it's not the fuel line in the tank. And, it's not the spark to the
plug. So, I'm pretty much left with the fuel ratio at this point.

I guess it could be compression or timing.

Is there a test for two-stroke compression & timing?