Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

On 2010-08-21, SF Man wrote:
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 23:48:36 GMT, notbob wrote:

Doesn't the Craftsman lifetime gaurantee apply to motorized tools?

AFAIK, the "lifetime guarantee" only applies to tools sans moving parts
(for the most part).

So, anything with a motor isn't covered.

The last time I held Sears to their gaurantee was on a Craftman
electric weed eater. The design was such that after new line was let
out via the bump line release (which worked pretty well), a blade on a
plastic bracket was suppose to cut the line to proper length while it
was spinning. The down side was, the design was such that it was a
crap shot as to whether the new line would hit the bracket or the
blade. If it hit the bracket, the bracket was flimsey enough to snap
right off.

Sure enough, eventually the new line took out the braket and blade
together and I returned the entire unit to Sears, whereupon the gave
me a brand new trimmer, no questions asked. Sweet. Unfortunately, the
design had not changed and after about and hour of hard use with the
new trimmer, the line whacked off the entire bracket once again.

Perhaps their gaurantee no longer applies to "moving part" tools as
you suggest, but it matters not. That was 30 yrs ago and the last
Craftman tool I've ever bought other than an occasional screwdriver or
nutdriver.

In all fairness, those "driver" hand tools are pretty good for the
price. They also used to make awesome roll-away tool boxes. I once
worked at a small start-up company that had a dozen mech-techs sharing
the company's tools out of a couple Craftsman roll-away tool boxes.
Those boxes were abused unmercifully, drawers being yanked open and
slammed shut a thousand times per day. I was in awe of how well they
held up and ending up buying a pair for myself. I still have it and
it's an excellent product. I can't say if they are still as well
made, today.

nb