Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spindle crash

Gunner Asch on Sat, 21 Aug 2010 16:11:32 -0700

THis was a Cinncinati Arrow?sabre. I have come to realize that I
am not a Machnist, but an operator. A good one, though, but I am not
the sort to wnat to know allthe specs of the machine I'm running. ANd
I don't have a :feel: for it. The "sounds right" ability, Feeds &
speeds vs alloy, etc. Heck, I've only been at it three years, I know
where to put my lunch bucket and how to find the coffee machine, but I
still have to look up anything more technical. Which, in itself, is
not a bad thing.

pyotr

Im always amazed by the guys who can be chatting with me at the soda
machine..and suddenly will cock their heads, excuse themselves and walk
down the line to a machine, make an adjustment, and come back. Now
granted..my hearing is nearly kaput...but...these guys..particularly the
Swiss screw machine guys are outragious in what they can "sense".

They know what it is suppose to sound like. I was back in the
shop helping a friend pack his toolbox - and all the sounds came back
- including some I wasn't hearing. (Those machines were gone.)

Tornos mechanical screw machines..walking into the shop..sounds like you
are inside a 2 million pound pocket watch...a wall of noise...and these
guys can hear something "funny" from 50' feet away.

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!