Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Spindle crash

Im not a big fan of the turrets myself. A LOT of the machines I gut and
retrofit are being done, simply because the turrets themselves have come
un****ed and are not economically repairable. You can fix them yes
indeed..but next week, something else turns to ****.

Now on the other hand...in a hobby environment...you would not be
running 8-16 hours a day, 5-7 days a week, so it may take you 6 months
to a year before that something else happens. Or even longer if you
replaced most of the electronics and took it easier on the machines than
they do in production shops.

Say, have you ever seen the turret air motor replaced with a servo?
This would solve nearly all the issues and designing an adaptor to
hang the motor on the back side of the carriage would be no big deal.

I have to run my air turret for 20 minutes at every startup to warm up
and loosen it. Even with that, I have it set to auto retry when it
don't seat. Of course, the kid used it to make about 10,000 parts when
he was laid off. Having this thing fail once every 50 tool changes was
a total PIA

Now, when i make a couple dozen parts - no big deal.

Karl