Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus25139 Ignoramus25139 is offline

Default Spindle crash

On 2010-08-21, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus25139 wrote:
Karl, maybe next year, I still have a lot to do. So tell me, those
Hardinge HNCs, which I also saw selling for $1k, can be refitted with
a new control easily? (easily, to me, means, not harder than my
Bridgeport). Docs available? Do they have an indexable turret?

There are several Hardinge machines running with the PPMC interface.
So, it would be quite similar and familiar to you. One detail is
that most Hardinges have resolver feedback, but you've already seen
how to do that, too. Yes, usually an 8-position tool turret, with a
magnet/reed switch encoder. I can refer you to the guys who have
done the retrofit. EMC2 has all the features in the tool table to
handle both Z and X offsets for lathes. On the older machines, you
really don't want to save much of the original control, on some of
the later ones, you might keep the servo amps.

AMC servo amps are so easy to use, that I do not see the point of
keeping the original servo amps. Selling them off will easily pay for
the new ones, so it is a no brainer.