Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Spindle crash

Ignoramus11290 wrote:
What I meant was this: say, I lose the spindle so that the spindle is
at the level of the vise (and not just the tool) and then I crash it
into a vise. What would happen?

My machine has the original round-ram swivel joint with a modified
adaptor to hold the 1J head I put on it.
I have had a couple crashes or overloads where the swivel slipped and I
had to re-tram the machine.
Your machine has the rigid ram, so it doesn't have that "safety
mechanism". I suspect the Series 1 head/spindle
can withstand 500 - 1000 Lbs of radial force on the spindle without
major damage, but above that it could cause
damage to the spindle or bearings. Your servo amps may be able to
deliver more than 1000 Lbs linear force to
the table, so damage is possible.

Jon