Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus25139 Ignoramus25139 is offline

Default Spindle crash

On 2010-08-21, Karl Townsend wrote:

So, let me say something and you would say if it is true or not. I can
buy a Hardinge NC lathe, in a decent condition, throw out the entire
cabinet with electronics, refit it with EMC2 and parallel port I/O
controller (like Jon's), do some configuration work like on the mill,
and I will end up with a decent hobby CNC lathe. No need for taper
attachments and other B/S. Right?

Yep, and you should sell the spare stuff off and have less in to it
that you got in your mill. I paid $1200 for mine when prices were high
and sold the spindle drive for $500, the X and Z drive for another
$500, and IIRC, the other stuff for another $50. I should have tried
harder - had too much $ in this unit.VBG

No such thing as taper attach on CNC. But don't try to run a lathe
without a complete collet set and collet closer. I think step collets
are mandatory also. And you'll want three jaw and four jaw chucks. So,
like any machine, you buy it again tooling it up.

Very nice. I will keep an open mind about it. I have a couple of lathe
projects right now, to make slitting saw holders for my mill.