Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

Hmm. If the spark plug comes out dry, that's a good clue.

You could put a couple drops of gas mix into the spark plug hole and
see if it runs for a second or two. I've also sprayed ether on the air
filter, that is a symptom check for fuel starvation. Only want to run
it for an instant, as the saw relies on the oil mixed in with the gas
to lube the crankcase bearings, rod bearings, and piston rings.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SF Man" wrote in message

The plug, when pulled out hot, is dry as a bone so I'm pretty sure
flooding
isn't the culprit. I'm beginning to suspect either the plugged fuel
filter
(I didn't know chain saws HAD a fuel filter) or the spark coils are
bad.

Don't know how to test the coils though.