Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Spindle crash

Ignoramus11290 wrote:

No, nothing happened, I just want to know a little more.

What happens if I make a wrong instruction and, say, crash a spindle
into a vise. What would happen in reality? It is somewhere in the
range between "nothing special" and "explode in a giant fireball". So,
in reality, what happens if I crash a running spindle into a vise or
something of that sort. Would the mill be ruined permanently?

"Crash" is a relative term. Depending on what your feed, spindle speed,
tool and "crash" area is it could result in anything from a scuff on the
side of the vice before a near instant axis fault shutdown, of it could
result in your part being cut out of your vise. Remember that your vise
is metal and your tools are intended to cut metal, so if the "crash"
results in traveling into the vise at a modest feed rate and depth of
cut, nothing bad may happen beyond messing up the vise. The big machines
have been known to mill big chunks of vise away without slowing down or
generating any faults.