Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default lost webpage - using weedwhacker string for "thread locking" - ie nylock

On 2010-08-21, des bromilow wrote:

G'Day,

I recall seeing a webpage where there was some pictures of a threaded device
which used a piece of weedwhacker string pressed through a hole to serves
as a form of threadlock - similar to a nylock.

Now I need something like that in my design, and I don't recall the website.
Does anyone know the website page I'm describing?
What is the URL?

I don't remember a website -- but I do remember posting here the
advice to another regular's question the suggestion that he try that
technique. I've seen commercial screws with such inserts, and when I've
needed a locking feature in existing screws, I've used the technique. I
simply would find some nylon string of a reasonable size for the screw
size, drill a hole perhaps between 1/2 and 3/4 the diameter of the
screw, shove in the nylon, and cut it off flush with the crest of the
threads. For really small nylon string -- try either fishing line
(leader perhaps) or Classical guitar strings.

For somewhat larger -- aside from weed whacker strings, you might
get some scraps from a place which restrings tennis rackets.

The other regular tried that, and it did what he needed.

Why do you need a web page to do this? Just do it. :-)

I'm making up some little machine jacks for settign a sinebar, and they tend
to move a littel when they are maneuvered into position, I'd prefer the thread
lock action as opposed to the bulk of a lock nut.

Setting a sinebar on jacks? How do you get the precision you
want? Normally, I use a stack of cheap Chinese gauge blocks -- though I
might try an adjustable parallel if I needed a variable which I would
set to a given dimension (usually using a micrometer). I certainly
would not use machine jacks.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564