Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Spindle crash

On 8/20/2010 4:27 PM, Ignoramus11290 wrote:

what happens if I crash a running spindle into a vise or
something of that sort. Would the mill be ruined permanently?

Possible problems:

Break end mill
Injury from flying fragments of broken end mill
Big divot in side/top of vise
Ruined part
Injury from said part being flung from vise
Knock head out of tram (maybe not an issue with yours?)
Damage tool holder, spindle taper
Damage spindle bearings
Scrap one pair of underwear
Stress from massive surge of adrenaline

Almost any combination of the above is possible depending on the
situation. Highly unlikely to permanently damage the mill, but repairs
could be somewhat expensive depending what needed replacing.

Most of my mill files are under 1k and I essentially wrote them by hand.
I know exactly what is -supposed- to happen. If I have any doubts, I
will spend the time doing a dry run to make sure.

Jon