Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you "tune up" a hard-to-start Craftsman 18" chainsaw

The mush button for the gas is the primer. Try it x2 pushes, instead
of six. Sounds like you're flooding the hell out of it.

Look for small slotted screw that turns up the idle (I'm no help to
say where that might be).

Mix a galon of brand new gas. Use name brand (Mobil, Exxon, Hess, BP)
not the cheap brands like Road Apple Quick Fill.

Make sure it's not a Champion brand plug. they had a run of defects.
I've bought Autolite, or NGK. If it fails to start, look at the spark
plug. Wet? Flooded. My gut sense is that you're flooding the system
with too much gas. "won't start till the next day" is the clue. Gives
the gas a chance to dry out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SF Man" wrote in message

Do you know where to find the tune-up procedure for the Sears
Craftsman
358.351.800 18 inch chain saw?

Ever since it was new, my two-stroke Sears Craftsman 358351.800 18"
40cc
chain saw has been miserable to start and even worse to run. Even when
new,
I could never release my finger on the trigger for fear of the
Craftsman
chainsaw conking out and not restarting for another 20 minutes of
pulling
the string.

The Sears Craftsman 358351 chain saw is now about a year old, and I've
got
only about 3 or 4 hours on it (a few tanks of gas and bar oil) but it
now
won't even start anymore except when left overnight. Even then, it
only
runs until I lift my finger off the trigger and it conks out and won't
start again. I'm so sorry I didn't read Craftsman chain saw reviews
because
I'm sure this is a design flaw (maybe because it's a California
low-smog
chainsaw?).

Anyway, I'm stuck with it.

I replaced the Champion RCJ7Y spark plug, the felt air filter, and put
newly bought newly mixed 40:1 gasolineil mixture in the tank; but
it's
STILL hard to start.

Following owners manual instructions, I set the choke to full on, I
press
the accelerator pump 6x, I pull the starter cord 5 times, I set the
choke
to 1/2 position, I pull the starter cord a half dozen more times, and,
more
often than not, it does not start.

I called Sears' 800 number but they only sell parts; the guy told me
tune the carbeurator but I don't know what that procedure is.