Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Best solder free electrical connection

John,

Since you've clearly eliminated solder from contention, I would suggest:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...FL.OZ.//1.html

"An all-purpose, electrically conductive glue ideal for bonding all kinds of
low-voltage connections. Makes a permanent bond without heat. Lead-free. 0.3
fl.oz. jar."

While it's really more of a conductive paint than a glue, it's been useful
to "replate" switch contacts on IR remote control units and to attach small,
fine wires like those required by glass solar panels where soldering may
cause serious damage if not done expertly. They also sell all sorts of
battery holders and soldering tools.

You might be able to gain strength by building up the material in layers and
then covering it with hot melt glue to add physical strength. Even will all
that I would solder but use a small alligator clip to "wick" the iron's heat
away from the plastic. Buy a new iron and some spare tips and practive a
little. I was amazed to learn how much a good tip is worth when soldering.

--
Bobby G.

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I have to connect this AAA battery holder to a toy. Although I have a

small
soldering iron, my soldering skills are poor. I can see myself easily
melting all the plastic around the contacts before I can get anything to
stick to the tabs. (The part of the tabs with the small hole will bend
upwards giving some clearence).

http://tinypic.com/r/iqx3pf/4

My immediate plan is to poke a few strands of wire through the holes in

the
connection tabs twist and then apply some nail varnish to stop it

unwinding.
Since its a toy it does not need to be totally foolproof.

If anyone had any ideas that were a bit more sophisticated I would be
gratefull. Thanks.