Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

Default Best solder free electrical connection

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 04:03:28 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I have trimmed solder tabs on a number of items
in order to slip a faston connector on them, it's not rocket surgery.

No, but it is half-assed. Solder lugs are much thinner than fast-on male
lugs. You can get the width right, but it doesn't make for a very secure
or reliable connection since the tab is still too thin.

So pinch the connector a bit to tighten it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:18:37 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

It's not for a NASA mission! Great dangling donkey dorks man! It's for
experimentation and playing around! It's not for the next great
military jet interceptor! DO YOU UNDERSTAND IT'S FOR A TOY! GAWWD!

This thread is one of the worst examples I've seen of a simple question
turning into a hyper-elaborated megillah.

Looks like a lot of people have too much time on their hands.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

On 19/08/2010 04:46, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Paul wrote:

On 19/08/2010 01:27, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/18/2010 6:33 PM, geoff wrote:
In , The Daring Dufas
writes
On 8/18/2010 4:17 PM, geoff wrote:
In , The Daring Dufas
writes
On 8/16/2010 12:43 PM, john hamilton wrote:
I have to connect this AAA battery holder to a toy. Although I have a
small
soldering iron, my soldering skills are poor. I can see myself easily
melting all the plastic around the contacts before I can get
anything to
stick to the tabs. (The part of the tabs with the small hole will
bend
upwards giving some clearence).

http://tinypic.com/r/iqx3pf/4

My immediate plan is to poke a few strands of wire through the holes
in the
connection tabs twist and then apply some nail varnish to stop it
unwinding.
Since its a toy it does not need to be totally foolproof.

If anyone had any ideas that were a bit more sophisticated I would be
gratefull. Thanks.

If you are familiar with faston connectors, you can trim the
terminals with scissors or wire cutters so a connector will
slip on to them. The connectors are available in many sizes
with the 1/4" being the most common. I believe The Shack,
formally Radio Shack carries several sizes. Here's a link
to a manufacturer that produces many types so you can see
what I'm referring to:

http://www.etco.com/category.php?cat=18&div=ep&l=e

Excuse me, but is the OP a Septic or English ?

If he/she/it is English, it's bugger all use pointing them at Septic
outlets, is it?

I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you are writing
about. Could you find someone to translate it into American?

Septic tank = yank

duh - colonials

Um, the cultural education is nice but what's it got to do
with electrical connections to a battery holder? Bizarre is
fun but at least I try to keep my jokes within the subject
matter being discussed. 8-)

TDD

It was... Radio Shack used to have UK outlets (but seemed to have
vanished), but the link above was certainly for their US replacement...

Its a long way to go for a battery holder..

Yes. All the way to your mail box. Of course, that may require you
to get out of your chair and actually walk.

And pay three times the value in shipping and taxes
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

In message , aemeijers
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , The Daring
[...]

Yeah, but at least we had the stones to tell the monarchy to bugger
off. Not that we don't do a lot of stupid stuff as well, but at least
we haven't kept a clan of figureheads on the public dole for the last N
centuries.

You (septics) are so ****ing stupid that you elected George Bush as
president ... twice

As for monarchy - where do all you tourists head for ? buck house to see
the queen

.... septics

--
geoff
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

In message , The Daring Dufas
writes
[...]

Did you not read my post about 10 lines above ?

I'll type it again without sarcasm or ****taking

"Excuse me, but is the OP a Septic or English ?

If he/she/it is English, it's bugger all use pointing them at Septic
outlets, is it?"

Capiche, ragazzo ?

--
geoff

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:06:47 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , aemeijers
writes
geoff wrote:
[...]

Only once, actually. The first time he got appointed by our Supreme
Court but yeah, I'll give you the second.

As for monarchy - where do all you tourists head for ? buck house to see
the queen

Well, to not do so is rather like visiting Paris for the first time and
not bothering to see the Eiffel Tower. It's a tourist code of duty or
something like that.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

On 8/19/2010 12:00 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:18:37 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

It's not for a NASA mission! Great dangling donkey dorks man! It's for
experimentation and playing around! It's not for the next great
military jet interceptor! DO YOU UNDERSTAND IT'S FOR A TOY! GAWWD!

This thread is one of the worst examples I've seen of a simple question
turning into a hyper-elaborated megillah.

Looks like a lot of people have too much time on their hands.

It's almost as bad as alt.2600. FLNF

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

On 8/19/2010 11:18 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
It's not for a NASA mission! Great dangling donkey dorks
man! It's for experimentation and playing around! It's not for
the next great military jet interceptor! DO YOU UNDERSTAND
IT'S FOR A TOY! GAWWD!

This thread is one of the worst examples I've seen of a simple question
turning into a hyper-elaborated megillah.

Several people (myself included) said that the terminals should/must be
soldered, and if you felt uncomfortable soldering, find someone who can do
it. That was all that was required, and the exchange should have ended
there.

I don't blame anyone who contributed for trying to help. It's good to help.

But other than the desire for social interaction, why is all this necessary?

But it's so entertaining...... 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

On 8/19/2010 1:06 PM, geoff wrote:
In message , The Daring Dufas
writes
[...]

Any references to Yank suppliers were for examples ONLY.
Sometimes a picture can help one communicate with those
who speak another language. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

In message , The Daring Dufas
writes
[...]

Septics.for example

ha ha

--
geoff

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

On 8/19/2010 3:04 PM, geoff wrote:
In message , The Daring Dufas
writes
[...]

Slimy Limeys. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

Paul wrote:

[...]

Only in uncivilised countries.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Bunch of flaming queens.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

John,

Since you've clearly eliminated solder from contention, I would suggest:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...FL.OZ.//1.html

"An all-purpose, electrically conductive glue ideal for bonding all kinds of
low-voltage connections. Makes a permanent bond without heat. Lead-free. 0.3
fl.oz. jar."

While it's really more of a conductive paint than a glue, it's been useful
to "replate" switch contacts on IR remote control units and to attach small,
fine wires like those required by glass solar panels where soldering may
cause serious damage if not done expertly. They also sell all sorts of
battery holders and soldering tools.

You might be able to gain strength by building up the material in layers and
then covering it with hot melt glue to add physical strength. Even will all
that I would solder but use a small alligator clip to "wick" the iron's heat
away from the plastic. Buy a new iron and some spare tips and practive a
little. I was amazed to learn how much a good tip is worth when soldering.

--
Bobby G.

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I have to connect this AAA battery holder to a toy. Although I have a

small
soldering iron, my soldering skills are poor. I can see myself easily
melting all the plastic around the contacts before I can get anything to
stick to the tabs. (The part of the tabs with the small hole will bend
upwards giving some clearence).

http://tinypic.com/r/iqx3pf/4

My immediate plan is to poke a few strands of wire through the holes in

the
connection tabs twist and then apply some nail varnish to stop it

unwinding.
Since its a toy it does not need to be totally foolproof.

If anyone had any ideas that were a bit more sophisticated I would be
gratefull. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

In message , Michael A.
Terrell writes
[...]

Ah - the whinings of the colonial underclass

--
geoff

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

On 8/20/2010 1:35 PM, geoff wrote:
In message , Michael A.
Terrell writes
[...]

Don't worry cousin, the next time you're attacked, we'll still come to
your rescue. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

In message , The Daring Dufas
writes
[...]

I should bloody well hope so - the number of times we've had to be there
to help you out of late

.... despite more of our troops getting killed by septic friendly fire in
the first Iraqi fracas

Which brings me round to thinking ...

Have you actually won anything since you came to help us out (at great
expense to us) in WW2 ?

err ... Vietnam ? ... No

Chad ? ... No

and whose defence network was hacked by a 14 year old kid

anyway, bye for a while - off to sunny germany

--
geoff
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

geoff wrote:

In message , Michael A.
Terrell writes
[...]

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left Europe
for 'The new World'.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair
Joe Joe is offline

In article , Meat Plow
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:18:37 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

It's not for a NASA mission! Great dangling donkey dorks man! It's for
experimentation and playing around! It's not for the next great
military jet interceptor! DO YOU UNDERSTAND IT'S FOR A TOY! GAWWD!

This thread is one of the worst examples I've seen of a simple question
turning into a hyper-elaborated megillah.

Looks like a lot of people have too much time on their hands.

If one took all the time, energy, expertise, and brain power expended on
this thread, I betcha it would be almost enough to duck tape them thar
wires to the battery.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

On 21/08/2010 03:59, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left
Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

The promblem is that the Septics believe their own war films...for
example, 'U-571'.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

What superior technology? Lucas?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left
Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

What superior technology? Lucas?

A giant US engineering company, TRW, put its best brains to work to develop
a successful electric power steering system. They spent a long time and many
millions of dollars. In the end they had to go out and buy the technology
from a little British outfit. Guess who that was? It's now the world most
successful electric power steering system.

Now who the hell was it....

Oh, yes. Lucas.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left
Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

The promblem is that the Septics believe their own war films...for
example, 'U-571'.

That's odd, I know it's a work of fiction and not a documentary.
Even as a small child, I knew that Superman was not a real person.
Perhaps some people believe everything they read or see in movies
and TV shows. I have found that many Europeans get their stereotypical
opinion of the Southeast U.S. from the media and when they visit,
are surprised that there is no constant banjo music and a Negro
hanging from every other tree.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

On 8/21/2010 2:01 PM, Steve S (another one) wrote:
"Michael A. wrote in message
m...

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left
Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

What superior technology? Lucas?

A giant US engineering company, TRW, put its best brains to work to develop
a successful electric power steering system. They spent a long time and many
millions of dollars. In the end they had to go out and buy the technology
from a little British outfit. Guess who that was? It's now the world most
successful electric power steering system.

Now who the hell was it....

Oh, yes. Lucas.

The US military also purchased the rights to build the Harrier Jump Jet.
I think there has been a lot of technology going in both directions. So
be fair about it, The UK is a great place.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

What superior technology? Lucas?

I thought Lucusitis was a disease cause by the use of Lucas products?
Is there not an evil fellow named Lucaser, Prince of Darkness? 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left
Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

What superior technology? Lucas?

I thought Lucusitis was a disease cause by the use of Lucas products?
Is there not an evil fellow named Lucaser, Prince of Darkness? 8-)

TDD

Everything Lucas made sucked except their vacuum cleaners.

tm

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair
> > is offline

geoff wrote:

[...]

Indeed, no constant banjo music or Negro's hanging from trees.

Just lots of extremely large people and restaurants that all think you
haven't eaten for months.
I guess the trees couldn't withstand the weight, so the Negro's just
dropped to the ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

What superior technology? Lucas?

No "superior technology" has come out of GB since about 1950. - and
that may be stretchng it. There have been a few "good ideas" since
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

geoff wrote:

[...]

Well, there is a lot of press about obesity in the South. There are
lots of big old boys but they can usually pick up a car engine without
breaking a sweat.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left
Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

What superior technology? Lucas?

No "superior technology" has come out of GB since about 1950. - and
that may be stretchng it. There have been a few "good ideas" since

I might be wrong but I thought Concorde started flying after 1950.
Though then again the Septics didn't like the noise, or was it a classic
case of "Not Invented Here" syndrome?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left
Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

What superior technology? Lucas?

A giant US engineering company, TRW, put its best brains to work to develop
a successful electric power steering system. They spent a long time and many
millions of dollars. In the end they had to go out and buy the technology
from a little British outfit. Guess who that was? It's now the world most
successful electric power steering system.

Now who the hell was it....

Oh, yes. Lucas.

I've never seen an electric power steering system, and never want to
touch anything made by Lucass.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 8/21/2010 2:01 PM, Steve S (another one) wrote:
"Michael A. wrote in message
m...

geoff wrote:

[...]

Is that the junk the stuck the Marines with? The politics was that
it was cheaper to buy a design, because the Marines wouldn't need many.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

What superior technology? Lucas?

I thought Lucusitis was a disease cause by the use of Lucas products?
Is there not an evil fellow named Lucaser, Prince of Darkness? 8-)

And it has infect the minds of many Europeans. So much so that they
no longer expect quality from anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left
Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

What superior technology? Lucas?

I thought Lucusitis was a disease cause by the use of Lucas products?
Is there not an evil fellow named Lucaser, Prince of Darkness? 8-)

TDD

Everything Lucas made sucked except their vacuum cleaners.

Not even the smoke from their motors.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left
Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

What superior technology? Lucas?

No "superior technology" has come out of GB since about 1950. - and
that may be stretchng it. There have been a few "good ideas" since

I might be wrong but I thought Concorde started flying after 1950.
Though then again the Septics didn't like the noise, or was it a classic
case of "Not Invented Here" syndrome?

It was a fast plane, but a poor design. They spent wads of money to
build and maintain them, then junked the entire fleet. It was noisy and
very fuel inefficient. That forced the fares so high that they weren't
able to compete with better planes from multiple countries.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

It was a fast plane, but a poor design. They spent wads of money
to build and maintain them, then junked the entire fleet. It was
noisy and very fuel inefficient. That forced the fares so high that
they weren't able to compete with better planes from multiple
countries.

"Bad design" is debatable. Supersonic planes are inherently inefficient, and
the Concorde (which was actually a British-French design -- hence the name)
was expensive from the get-go.

You can't say it wasn't able to compete with other planes, because the
Concorde was the only supersonic transport. Even without the fatal accident,
the Concorde would have eventually gone out of business, as there just
weren't enough rich people or business who needed to zip to Europe and back.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

In article , Michael A.
Terrell scribeth thus

geoff wrote:

That's a very good example of why most people with brains left
Europe
for 'The new World'.

So how come Britain made a better nuclear bomb than the New World? And
the New World wanted as much detail of our superior technology as they
could get?

What superior technology? Lucas?
No "superior technology" has come out of GB since about 1950. - and
that may be stretchng it. There have been a few "good ideas" since

I might be wrong but I thought Concorde started flying after 1950.
Though then again the Septics didn't like the noise, or was it a classic
case of "Not Invented Here" syndrome?

It was a fast plane, but a poor design.

Not that bad really as it was the first one..

They spent wads of money to
build and maintain them, then junked the entire fleet. It was noisy and
very fuel inefficient. That forced the fares so high that they weren't
able to compete with better planes from multiple countries.

What other supersonic airliners are those then?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair

In article , William
Sommerwerck scribeth thus
It was a fast plane, but a poor design. They spent wads of money
to build and maintain them, then junked the entire fleet. It was
noisy and very fuel inefficient. That forced the fares so high that
they weren't able to compete with better planes from multiple
countries.

"Bad design" is debatable. Supersonic planes are inherently inefficient, and
the Concorde (which was actually a British-French design -- hence the name)
was expensive from the get-go.

You can't say it wasn't able to compete with other planes, because the
Concorde was the only supersonic transport. Even without the fatal accident,
the Concorde would have eventually gone out of business, as there just
weren't enough rich people or business who needed to zip to Europe and back.

The USofA shirley?.
--
Tony Sayer