Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Bill wrote:

What is my next best move (multiple choice)?

1) Tape the joint now with all-purpose joint compound, and
reduce/feather the angle with additional joint and finishing compound
on top of the tape. (It would practically be like taping an outside
corner of 130 degrees)

2) Add more Durabond 90 to reduce the angle now, getting it almost
flat, and then tape it with additional all-purpose joint compound.

3) Something else (PLEASE don't say, hire a professional! : ) ).

4) Take down the 5/8 sheetrock and replace with 1/2, or vise-versa. BTW -
is this an attached garage? There may be code implications here.

Notwithstanding the possible code implications, use which ever compound you
chose to run the joint out. Then, use regular mud to finish running it out.
You're going to run a long way to hide the kind of step you describe. You
might want to secure a good straight stick or piece of metal to use as a
screed to establish a nice wide flare. You're probably going to go out 6
feet or more to hide that kind of joint. I wouldn't even bother with it
myself - I'd replace sheetrock and finish as normal.

--

-Mike-