Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

In the year that I've lived here, he's barely shared any tidbit of
knowledge at all. It feels like he's standing guard protecting any and
all secrets of those who work in the trades. He does contract work
himself, so I have wondered whether he was hoping for my business (I
know he did several plumbing/sewage-related projects for the previous
owners).

Typical union mentality. The secretly (or not) wish for the return of guilds.

It reminded me of the "guilds" too. Much of that kind of thinking going
around these days?

BTW, he's a decent family person
and a good neighbor who doesn't play loud rock music late at night--no
offense to those here who like to play loud music late at night (myself
included).

No reason he can't be a friend. A man just has to know his (neighbor's)
limitations.

One of the first things I mentioned to him when we met was how much I
liked tools, especially old tools. I showed him a few old planes and he
showed me an old Disston saw he had, and a few months later he gave it
to me, trusting that I would give it a good home. I've never seen him
do any work except mow the lawn at home. His free seems to go towards
the activities of his two teenage children. Maybe there will come a time
when he has time for friendship, but in the meantime I'm not going to
hold my breath. My wife and I have a really good relationship with his
dog who is not afraid to come right to the door (it can tell when
"something's cooking")!

Bill