Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Wood router duty cycle?

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:59:51 -0700, "CW"
wrote:
SNIP

........... Most newer CNC mills will do 10000 stock.

10,000 RPM is becoming a standard in new VMC's used in tool & die
shops, even on fairly large units. Speeds to 40,000RPM have been
available for while, at some expense.

It will be interesting to see what spindle speed changes have been
become available over the last 2 years. At IMTS2008, there was a demo
of one running at 120,000 RPM. It was surfacing at incredible IPM's.
Cutting was dry of course, but a rrrrreeeeeeally large refrigeration
unit was cooling the head, spindle, and column. Hard to see any chips
flying, more like "dust", but interesting to watch.

I wonder what will we see at IMTS2010 net month?

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.