Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,sci.electronics.repair
Paul[_34_] Paul[_34_] is offline

Default Best solder free electrical connection

On 19/08/2010 04:46, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Paul wrote:

On 19/08/2010 01:27, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 8/18/2010 6:33 PM, geoff wrote:
In , The Daring Dufas
writes
On 8/18/2010 4:17 PM, geoff wrote:
In , The Daring Dufas
writes
On 8/16/2010 12:43 PM, john hamilton wrote:
I have to connect this AAA battery holder to a toy. Although I have a
small
soldering iron, my soldering skills are poor. I can see myself easily
melting all the plastic around the contacts before I can get
anything to
stick to the tabs. (The part of the tabs with the small hole will
bend
upwards giving some clearence).

http://tinypic.com/r/iqx3pf/4

My immediate plan is to poke a few strands of wire through the holes
in the
connection tabs twist and then apply some nail varnish to stop it
unwinding.
Since its a toy it does not need to be totally foolproof.

If anyone had any ideas that were a bit more sophisticated I would be
gratefull. Thanks.

If you are familiar with faston connectors, you can trim the
terminals with scissors or wire cutters so a connector will
slip on to them. The connectors are available in many sizes
with the 1/4" being the most common. I believe The Shack,
formally Radio Shack carries several sizes. Here's a link
to a manufacturer that produces many types so you can see
what I'm referring to:

http://www.etco.com/category.php?cat=18&div=ep&l=e

Excuse me, but is the OP a Septic or English ?

If he/she/it is English, it's bugger all use pointing them at Septic
outlets, is it?

I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you are writing
about. Could you find someone to translate it into American?

Septic tank = yank

duh - colonials

Um, the cultural education is nice but what's it got to do
with electrical connections to a battery holder? Bizarre is
fun but at least I try to keep my jokes within the subject
matter being discussed. 8-)

TDD

It was... Radio Shack used to have UK outlets (but seemed to have
vanished), but the link above was certainly for their US replacement...

Its a long way to go for a battery holder..

Yes. All the way to your mail box. Of course, that may require you
to get out of your chair and actually walk.

And pay three times the value in shipping and taxes