Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Container floor anchors

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:26:38 -0700, "Steve B"

.3.70...
"Steve B" fired this volley in
news

I have two containers with oak (?) flooring. I have a roll around

Hey, Steve.

You need to watch out for one thing, and I mean this.

1) those floors aren't oak, they're usually a tropical mahogany or
mahogany-like wood. By themselves, their sawdusts are somewhat
poisonous.

2) almost all containers that originated in China (and most do, sorry),
have floor wood that has been saturation-treated with Chlordane. It's a
"hard" poison that will not deteriorate in the soil.

So don't breathe the sawdust! (but DO scratch it into the soil around
the foundation of your house... GGG)

I did the occasional chlordane treatments and had very few external
pests around my old house.

On the plate outside the container, it states that it has chlordane in it.
I never thought about scattering the sawdust around.

I rented a country house in the 70's in southern Louisiana. We had fire
ants, and I mean hills the size of washtubs. My veterinarian landlord
brought me a Mason jar of white granules. He said to use about four grains
per ant hill, and that it was chlordane, something that was outlawed. That
stuff worked very well. It was a yearly ritual with the new queens flying
in, but it did help a lot. I'll remember to keep the sawdust. Thanks. I
would have never thought of it, even though I did see it on the container
label.

Wow, powerful stuff when used that way.

Oh, for inserts, Drill, countersink, and hex 'em in. Try this style:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-inserts/=8ggcma

T-nuts will work, but they'll _fall_out_ the first time you put any
pressure on the bolt. Not recommended.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.