Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Container floor anchors

James Waldby wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 07:50:22 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:
I have two containers with oak (?) flooring. I have a roll around
router table, and a small table saw that I'd like to mount to the
floor, but be able to unmount it quickly. Where can I find some
type of T-bolts that I can drill an oversized hole in the wood, put
the female anchor in there flush with the floor, secure it in, and
have enough room around it to blow out chips once I take it loose?
I have a router table on a base, table saw, and metal bender I'd
like to anchor down. I think if I use a lag, the hole will wallow
in the wood. I could take some square plate, cut some vent blow
holes, drill it, weld a nut on the underside, rout out a place on
the floor, and mount that with countersinks, but I was wondering if
there was anything available that was pre made that I could just
slam down.

Instead of routing the inset holes on the floor, you could use a
Forstner bit.

I have a set of those , they range in size from 1/4" to 1.5" . Any bigger
than that and I'd have it in a drill press - and I prefer to use even the
small ones that way . Tried a couple of bigger bits freehand once ... *ONCE*
.. They have a very nasty tendency to walk unless you're perfectly square
with the surface being drilled , and even then it can be iffy .
Use a hole saw and chisel the bottom flat by hand . It's much safer that
way , and you end up with a nearly-perfectly-centered pilot hole for
whatever threaded insert you end up using .
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist